Recently I’ve spent a lot of time developing MVC.NET based web apps. The automated functional tests for these web apps have all been written using Selenium, with the tests written in C# and organized as NUnit test fixtures.
Whilst I found Selenium to be a good tool, I ran into some serious problems with it:
- Some of my Selenium based functional tests would fail approximately 10% of the time when they were run against Firefox. Switching the exact same tests to using Internet Explorer (still with Selenium) resulted in the tests returning to 100% stability. This meant abandoning automated functional testing with Firefox in favour of using IE.
- Slow performance in Internet Explorer (mitigated to some extent by switching the XPath engine Selenium uses with it). IE just isn’t a fast browser when used with Selenium.
- Many of Seleniums operations are non-blocking (i.e. asynchronous). This means Selenium doesn’t wait for those operations to complete before allowing a test to continue. For example opening a new webpage in Selenium is a non-blocking operation; Selenium will happily load a page and then (via the next line in the functional test) attempt to click a button on the page when the button hasn’t even loaded yet.
Looking round for an alternative to Selenium, there was one obvious replacement: WebDriver. read more »